Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Death Star is Near Completion






In the spirit of the Piney video being near finished today we will feature Mike Ware, the brains behind it all. The video has been underway for roughly about two years now, and Mikes been pushing through it despite multiple hassles and bouts of shit luck, particularly through the last year of filming and through editing but has kept a level head through it and didn't quit. Besides for putting together the whole thing he has a full section, and anybody who has put together a video knows that its not easy to film a full part for yourself while filming a full length dvd, so my hat is off to him. I've conducted an interview with him for your reading pleasure, so without further hesitation here is one of my favorite riders, closest friends, and an all around good dude, Mike Ware.

So tell us whats the news on the long anticipated Piney BMX DVD?
We just finished up the intro with Emdog and now I'm waiting on a day when Walt and I are both free to put everything on an actual disc and then we're done.

How does it feel to be at the end of your first full length DVD?
I definitely feel accomplished. The easiest part was the actual filming and riding. What sucked was taking all of those clips and turning them into a 3 and a half minute section that everybody is stoked to watch.

From what I understand there have been a lot of obstacles in this particular project, care to elaborate?
Well we went through 3 cameras, lost about 4 tapes all together, then the tapes we had we couldn't even capture to any computer for some reason that is beyond my understanding, then the tapes that i did capture were horrible quality, now my computer can't handle rendering an HD file so I had to edit the beginning of the video at Walter's house, and NOW Walter and I can't get a day that we are both completely free to finish everything up.



That sounds like a horrible nightmare, God bless your soul, but surely there must have been some good times. Do you have any good stories to share from the making of the video?
Too many good times, I'd have to say most of my favorite memories happened at the Mullica skatepark. "Intimidating" Jimbo Wyld and going to town meetings to try to get them to keep the park were pretty good ones.

Do you know what dog food smells like?
It tastes just like it smells..Delicious

How big of a role does Emory Siplingini play in this film?
Without Emory there would be no Piney BMX (editors note: this is sarcasm...i think)


What does the future hold for Mike Ware the bike shredder, for Piney BMX, and for Mike Ware the filmmaker?
Right now I'm filming with Brandon Bunting for what should be a pretty radical web video and yesterday I got my first clip for the latest Matt Gettings feature film, so hopefully that will keep me pretty busy for a while. I plan on going to film school this September so hopefully I'll be able to actually do something with videos and editing. Also every few weeks I'll be putting out a little web video, kinda like what Piney BMX was originally going to be. I just finished my first one today.



What should viewers be on the lookout for in this video?
Well I'm pretty stoked on everybody's sections I'm not going to lie. Brandon Bunting threw down a good bit in a pretty short amount of time, Shaun Superman Thompson has some really good clips towards the end of a mixed section. You can't forget Nick Capaldi either, he's definitely one of the better riders I know in general and he definitely makes most things look pretty easy, plus his banger is pretty fuckin ill.


Sounds pretty sweet. At this point would you like make any shout outs?
It all starts with John Griffin and Nick Hagaman, without them I would probably be playing football or something gay like that, Gettings for sure, you've always taken me places and taught me subtle things that go a long with in riding and life in general, All the Nesco kids keeping riding alive and Denny at Shred Shack for the hookups on the dope parts.



Any additional last words to close?
Don't take riding too serious, just have fun with it. People that do take riding too serious are tools, don't be a tool haha.

Well on behalf of everyone everywhere thanks for your time and working hard to make this dvd happen.


2 comments:

  1. I know I can speak for everyone when I say how much I appreciate Mike's dedication and hard work for this video. Most assholes out there wouldn't push through what Mike did to make this happen. I've only really been riding, filming, and most importantly hanging out with the Piney guys for a little more than a year. I can tell you that they're some of the coolest dudes I've ever met. Looking back over the last year and a half at all the good times I've had with you guys, and all the shit we've done really makes me appreciate this video. Thank you. I really look forward to everything that's ahead of us as not only a group of shredders, but a tight group of friends. This video is way more than what it appears, and I can't wait to see it.

    -Matt Mazzone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the last picture shows how much class I have...tons

    ReplyDelete

Talk shit get hit